• Campus Master Plan
  • Committees
  • Historic Campus
  • Strategic Development Plan
  • Conservation Area Land Management (CALM) Plans
  • Walker Hall

    Walker Hall

    The Mechanical Engineering Building was named for Major E.S. Walker, professor of civil engineering, and is now the home of the Department of Mathematics. Designed by Rudolph Weaver, it was built in 1927 adjacent to Benton Hall, the 1924 College of Engineering which was demolished when Grinter Hall was built in 1969.

    Highlights of Walker Hall
    Collegiate Gothic features and materials characteristic of campus
    Challenges of Walker Hall
    Vine cover needs separation from building materials

    Architect: Rudolph Weaver
    Contractor: O. P. Woodstock
    Building Name: Major E. S. Walker, Professor of Civil Engineering

    Walker Hall Character-Defining Features
    SCALE
    • 2-1/2 stories
    MASSING
    • T shape plan
    ROOF
    • Gable
    • Shed dormers
    ENTRANCES
    • In corner of T
    WINDOWS
    • 12 over 12 light single hung
    • Replacement sash
    • Singles with triple grouping under gable end
    MATERIALS
    • Brick is English bond
    • Soldier course above lower level windows
    • Clay roof tile with a variegated color range of ochre, red, and green-gray
    ORNAMENTATION
    • Cast stone water table with simple slope
    • Quoins
    • Cast stone lintels and sills
    INTERIOR FEATURES
    BUILDING-SITE RELATIONSHIP
    • Defines court with Carlton auditorium in rear