• Campus Master Plan
  • Committees
  • Historic Campus
  • Strategic Development Plan
  • Conservation Area Land Management (CALM) Plans
  • The Infirmary

    The Infirmary

    The Infirmary was designed in 1931 by Rudolph Weaver as a central pavilion with wings on either side, adapting the Collegiate Gothic to the medical and health care needs of the students. Whimsical figures depicting medical themes enliven the main entrances. In 1947, Guy Fulton’s addition of a compatible South wing continued Weaver’s design and provided a residence for nurses.

    Architect: Rudolph Weaver
    Contractor: H. F. Perry, Jr.

    The Infirmary Character-Defining Features
    SCALE
    • 2-1/2 with basement 3-1/2 stories
    MASSING
    • L shape plan with additions
    • Central gable
    ROOF
    • Gable
    • Shed dormers alternating with narrow cross gable parapets
    ENTRANCES
    • Under cross gable with Oriel window
    WINDOWS
    • 6 over 6 light double hung
    MATERIALS
    • Brick is English Bond
    • Soldier course at basement, first floor and rowlocks at 2nd floor
    • Orange, red and flashed flat clay tiles with “bump” ridge tiles
    ORNAMENTATION
    • Water table with small half round and larger quarter round
    • Cut limestone sills
    • Copper downspouts and conductors
    INTERIOR FEATURES
    BUILDING-SITE RELATIONSHIP
    • Set back from road and defines open space within L plan shape