• Campus Master Plan
  • Committees
  • Historic Campus
  • Strategic Development Plan
  • Conservation Area Land Management (CALM) Plans
  • The Hub

    The Hub

    The HUB Student Services Center was designed by the Russell T. Pancoast and Associates of Miami and dedicated on November 3, 1950. The project architect was Andrew Ferendino (later a principal of the important firm of Spillis and Candela). Jefferson M. Hamilton was consulting architect for the University with Guy C. Fulton as Architect for the State Board of Control. The Student Services Center was renamed the Hub by students after a campus-wide contest on the occasion of its opening. The Hub, built in 1949-50, reflects the influence of international modern architecture significant to the post-World War II era. This new building at the outer edge of the historic center made a gesture to the future while remaining in harmony with the scale and materials of the campus, as directed by University Architect Guy Fulton.

    Architect: Russell T. Pancoast and Associates of Miami, directed by Guy Fulton and Jefferson Hamilton
    Building Name: Chosen by the students

    The Hub Character-Defining Features
    SCALE
    • 2 stories
    MASSING
    • Irregular plan shape with horizontal massing emphasis
    ROOF
    • Flat
    ENTRANCES
    • Multiple entrances
    • Main entrance under a covered walkway and emphasized by glass tower feature
    WINDOWS
    • Fixed glass
    • Clerestory glass
    MATERIALS
    • All stretcher brick courses, multi colored red brick
    ORNAMENTATION
    • Pre-cast flat profile surrounds
    • Mid Century modern style defined by plan shape and expression of materials as ornament
    INTERIOR FEATURES
    • Pink marble staircase
    • Extensively remodeled
    BUILDING-SITE RELATIONSHIP
    • Defines irregular shape exterior space in front
    • Aligns with Peabody Hall across the Plaza