• Campus Master Plan
  • Historic Preservation
  • Committees
  • Historic Campus
  • Strategic Development Plan
  • Conservation Area Land Management (CALM) Plans
  • Smathers Library

    Smathers Library

    The University Library, completed in 1926, represented commitment to the scholarly materials which are the foundation of a university. Along with the Auditorium, the Library represents the zenith of the work of University Architect from 1905-1925, William Augustus Edwards. The compatibility of later additions is evident in the Southwest entry to the wing designed by Architect Rudolph Weaver. The present entry foyer was designed by Guy Fulton, who took the reins as third University Architect in 1944, and continues the tradition of compatible evolution. The original reading room now houses University and Florida archives, as well as the 1954 mural ‘The History of Learning in Florida’ by University art professor Hollis Holbrook. The entrance to the library on the West side is noted by a small courtyard and historic Italian marble well head.

    Architect: William Augustus Edwards, 1926; Rudolph Weaver; Guy Fulton, 1948
    Contractor: Jack Culpepper
    Building Name: University Library until 1967; Library East 1967-1991; George A. Smathers in 1991

    Smathers Library Character-Defining Features

    2-1/2 and 3-1/2 stories


    L shape plan

    Cross gable bays every 4th by on north facade



    Gables and cross gables

    Shed dormers


    Rectangle at ends on long side and in the L



    4 over 4 ligh double hung, paired

    3rd floor pointed arches over windows


    Brick is Common Cross Bond

    6th course Flemish header

    Flat arch soldier above windows

    Flat clay tile, variegated colors (ochre, reds, olive greens) with “bump” ridge tiles


    Cast stone sills

    Water table above first floor

    Around Entrances


    Reading Room


    Defines Northeast corner of the Plaza space

    Defines open space with Anderson Hall to North