Plaza of the Americas

  • Campus Master Plan
  • Committees
  • Historic Campus
  • Strategic Development Plan
  • Conservation Area Land Management (CALM) Plans
  • Plaza of the Americas

    Plaza of the Americas

    The campus green was the focal point of the early campus plans and envisioned as the entrance to the University. In 1925 the University invited landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr. to prepare plans to improve the landscape of the quadrangle. In 1931, the space was designated Plaza of the Americas at the first meeting of the Institute of Inter-American Affairs; 21 trees were planted on the Plaza and students presented the flags of the 21 attending nations.