• Campus Master Plan
  • Historic Preservation
  • Committees
  • Historic Campus
  • Strategic Development Plan
  • Conservation Area Land Management (CALM) Plans
  • Peabody Hall

    Peabody Hall

    A major gift of $40,000 from the George Peabody Foundation helped complete the first College for Teachers in 1913. The College of Education moved to new quarters in Norman Hall in 1934. Once the site for printing the Florida Alligator newspaper, Peabody Hall was renovated in 1990 as part of the Criser Student Services Center by VOA Architects of Orlando. At the focal point of the courtyard framed by Peabody, Criser Hall, and the Library is a sculpture depicting President Albert Murphree, 2nd President of UF, created in 1946 by Paul Manship, sculptor of the Prometheus at Rockefeller Center.

    Architect:
    Contractor:
    Building Name:

    Peabody Hall Character-Defining Features
    SCALE
    • 2-1/2 stories and basement
    • High water table level
    MASSING
    • Rectangular with projecting end pavilions and central pavilion
    ROOF
    • Gable
    ENTRANCES
    • Short ends of rectangle and center under cross gable
    • “Gothic” revival door pattern
    WINDOWS
    • 12 over 12 light single hung
    • Replacement sash
    MATERIALS
    • Brick is Common Bond
    • 6th course Flemish Bond
    • Jack arches at basement windows
    • “French” light red clay tiles with “bump” ridge tile
    • Copper downspouts, scuppers, and conductor heads
    ORNAMENTATION
    • Cast stone water table
    • Cast stone finials and entrance surrounds
    • Cast stone lintels and sills
    INTERIOR FEATURES
    BUILDING-SITE RELATIONSHIP
    • Faces Plaza space and building mass aligns with Griffin-Floyd Hall