• Campus Master Plan
  • Historic Preservation
  • Committees
  • Historic Campus
  • Strategic Development Plan
  • Conservation Area Land Management (CALM) Plans
  • Norman Hall

    Norman Hall

    Norman Hall was built in 1934 as the P.K. Yonge Laboratory School, a K-12 center for practice teaching and educational innovation, and now serves the College of Education. The main entrance is set in a crenellated clock tower. Cast-stone gargoyles leer from the cornice and corbels of students support the arched entrance. Dean of the College of Education, James W. Norman helped raise funds for the model school, and the building was renamed for him when P.K. Yonge Laboratory School moved to new quarters. The Norman Gym now houses the Digital Worlds Institute for the College of Fine Arts.

    Architect: Rudolph Weaver
    Contractor: Paul Smith Construction Co.
    Building Name: Dean of the College of Education, James W. Norman

    Norman Hall Character-Defining Features
    SCALE
    • 3-1/2 stories
    MASSING
    • Rectangular with L shape addition
    • Cross gable bays
    ROOF
    • Gable roof with hop roof dormers
    ENTRANCES
    • Main entrance is in a crenellated clock tower
    WINDOWS
    • 9 over 9 light
    • Double hung
    • Single, paired and in groups of 6
    MATERIALS
    • Brick is English bond
    • Herringbone pattern between first and second floor windows
    • Diagonal pattern at main north entrance to the campus
    • Variegated tiles of ochre, red, and flashed flat tiles
    ORNAMENTATION
    • Cast stone water table with half round and “bulging torus”
    • Cast stone lintels and sills
    • Quoins
    • Cast stone figures
    • Cast entrance surrounds
    INTERIOR FEATURES
    BUILDING-SITE RELATIONSHIP
    • Set back from 13th Street