• Campus Master Plan
  • Committees
  • Historic Campus
  • Strategic Development Plan
  • Conservation Area Land Management (CALM) Plans
  • Murphree Hall

    Murphree Hall

    Murphree Hall was built in 1939, completing the dormitory complex of the Northwest sector of the early campus. During the Second World War, Murphree Hall housed training soldiers. After World War II, families of veteran who were enrolled at UF on the GI Bill were housed here until the development of the Flavet Villages. The football team was also housed here for a period. The building continued the dormitory concept of individual entrances with stairways leading to suites of rooms, in contrast to the later plan of spine hallways. Murphree was named for UF’s second president Albert A. Murphree.

    Architect: Rudolph Weaver
    Contractor: H. S. Baird, Inc.
    Building Name: For albert A. Murphree (1870-1927), second president of the University of Florida

    Murphree Hall Character-Defining Features
    SCALE
    • 3-1/2 stories
    MASSING
    • Rectangular bars form a “C” shape plan that defines exterior court, cross, gables, projecting angled bays
    ROOF
    • Gable
    • Cross gable bays
    ENTRANCES
    • Individual entrances facing courtyard
    WINDOWS
    • 6 over 6 lights
    • Double hung
    MATERIALS
    • Brick is English Cross Bond
    • Solider course above 3rd story windows
    • Brick color range – 3 tones, orangey, deeper red and dark (glazed)
    • Flat clay roof tiles in light red
    ORNAMENTATION
    • Cast stone horizontal bands, simple profiles on string courses
    • Water table – half round with bulging torus
    INTERIOR FEATURES
    • Resident advisor room
    BUILDING-SITE RELATIONSHIP
    • Forms C shape defining courtyard, about 60′ X 150′
    • Pedestrian passages through the building mass on ground floor
    • The proportion of clear space in the courtyards between the buildings is at least twice the ground to parapet height