• Campus Master Plan
  • Historic Preservation
  • Committees
  • Historic Campus
  • Strategic Development Plan
  • Conservation Area Land Management (CALM) Plans
  • Matherly Hall

    Matherly Hall

    Matherly Hall exemplifies the continuity and innovation of the post-World War II modified Collegiate Gothic of the UF campus with clay tile gabled roof, brick with cast linear detail, crenulated parapet, and a modified tower entrance headed with a Moderne ornamental plaque depicting the College of Business Administration. New directions of the post-war campus are reflected in the functional provision for ventilation and light by the expansive window fenestration and the more massive building.

    Architect: Jefferson Hamilton; Supervising Architect: Guy Fulton, 1953
    Contractor: Jack Culpepper
    Building Name: Walter Jeffries Matherly, Dean of Business Administration from 1926-1954

    Matherly Hall Character-Defining Features
    SCALE

    2-1/2 stories

    MASSING

    Rectangular

    ROOF

    Gable

    ENTRANCES

    End of long face of rectangular mass
    In projecting entrance tower

    WINDOWS

    Casement sash 12 over 6 lights
    Groupings of four

    MATERIALS

    Brick is Common Bond

    ORNAMENTATION

    Pre-cast coping
    Flat band water table
    Pre-cast continuous lintel
    Vertical bands between windows
    Art Deco influence on plaque in entrance tower

    INTERIOR FEATURES
    BUILDING-SITE RELATIONSHIP

    Faces University Avenue at Northeast edge of campus
    Large open space on North and South sides
    Small spaces formed between adjacent buildings at East and West