• Campus Master Plan
  • Historic Preservation
  • Committees
  • Historic Campus
  • Strategic Development Plan
  • Conservation Area Land Management (CALM) Plans
  • Leigh Hall

    Leigh Hall

    Names of famous men of science and fanciful alchemical figures embellish the facade of the Chemistry and Pharmacy Building, designed by Rudolph Weaver in 1927. Even the copper downspouts are embossed with chemical symbols. It was renamed for the first Chairman of the Chemistry Department, Townes R. Leigh. Square towers distinguish the North elevation and a two story oriel bay window faces the Plaza of the Americas. In 1948, Guy Fulton extended the building with a western wing, in modified Collegiate Gothic.

    Architect: Rudolph Weaver, 1927 and Guy Fulton, 1948 addition
    Contractor: J. L. Crouse Company
    Building Name: Townes R. Leigh, Chairman of Chemistry Department and Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences from 1933-1948

    Leigh Hall Character-Defining Features
    SCALE
    • 3-1/2 stories
    MASSING
    • Rectangular “E” shape plan evolved over time
    • Projecting angled bays
    ROOF
    • Gable and cross gables
    • Parapets with stone copings
    • Dormers with shed roof
    ENTRANCES
    • Near ends of the long sides/p>
    WINDOWS
    • 6 over 6 lights
    • Double hung with 1 to 3 light transoms
    • Groupings of three, four and singles
    MATERIALS
    • Brick is English bond
    • Flat red clay tile
    ORNAMENTATION
    • Cast stone water table, corner stone and quoins
    • Decorative lintels and sills
    • Cast stone entrance surrounds and angled bay surrounds
    • Cast stone gargoyles in the cornice
    INTERIOR FEATURES
    BUILDING-SITE RELATIONSHIP