• Campus Master Plan
  • Committees
  • Historic Campus
  • Strategic Development Plan
  • Conservation Area Land Management (CALM) Plans
  • Keene-Flint Hall

    Keene-Flint Hall

    Science Hall was completed in 1910, the new home of the departments of botany, chemistry, horticulture, physics, zoology, and bacteriology. The University Museum, which became the Florida State Museum in 1914, occupied the second floor. The building was later named for Dr. Edward R. Flint, who served as the first University Physician, as well as professor of chemistry. The building was rehabilitated and the auditorium wing was added in 2002 through the support of the Keene family; the project by Rowe Architects included restoration of the University Avenue entrance and the grand stair lobby.

    Architect: William Augustus Edwards
    Contractor: J. J. Cain Company of Atlanta
    Building Name: Dr. Edward R. Flint, first University Physician and Professor of Chemistry. A gift in 1997 from Kenneth and Janet Keene enabled the building’s renovation. It was originally named Science Hall

    Keene-Flint Hall Character-Defining Features
    SCALE
    • 2-1/2 Stories
    MASSING

    L shape
    Cross gables
    Center hall entrance with double loaded corridor

    ROOF

    Gable

    ENTRANCES

    Center of block and at ends of the rectangular mass

    WINDOWS

    Replacement sash

    MATERIALS

    Brick is Common Bond
    6th course is Flemish Bond
    Flat light red clay tiles with flat ridge tile
    Copper downspouts, scuppers and conductor heads

    ORNAMENTATION

    Water table with sloped surface
    Cast stone door surround with finials
    Crenellated parapet in old and new sections

    INTERIOR FEATURES

    Layout retained with central hall and double loaded corridor

    BUILDING-SITE RELATIONSHIP

    Fronts on University Avenue – central entrance
    Forms courtyard space at exterior with addition