• Campus Master Plan
  • Committees
  • Historic Campus
  • Strategic Development Plan
  • Conservation Area Land Management (CALM) Plans
  • Griffin-Floyd Hall

    Griffin-Floyd Hall

    The College of Agriculture, completed in 1912, reflected the University commitment to the agriculture interests of the state. Terra cotta reliefs of cornucopia spilling a wealth of fruits and vegetables over two of the entrances symbolize the bounty of the state’s agricultural resources. A stock judging arena and farm machinery room were adjacent to administrative offices and classrooms. Griffin-Floyd Hall was restored in 1992 with the support of Ben Hill Griffin, Jr.

    Architect: William Augustus Edwards
    Contractor: Chalker & Lund Co.
    Building Name: Major Wilbur L. Floyd in 1930s; Ben Hill Griffin, Jr., 1992, originally the Agriculture Building

    Griffin-Floyd Hall Character-Defining Features
    SCALE
    • 2-1/2 stories
    MASSING
    • Rectangular
    • Center cross gable
    • Projecting end bays, 3 bays wide
    • Central double loaded corridor
    ROOF
    • Gable roof
    • Integral gutter within cornice molding
    • Clay tile with “bump” tile ridge
    ENTRANCES
    • Central under cross gable on east and south facades
    WINDOWS
    • Double Hung 9 over 9 light
    • Double Hung 12 over 12 light
    MATERIALS
    • Brick is Common bond
    • 6th course Flemish bond
    • Roof is light red clay tiles
    ORNAMENTATION
    • Cast stone water table with sloped profile
    • Cast lintels and sills
    • Terracotta cornucopia above entrances
    INTERIOR FEATURES
    • Original Stairs
    • Sensitive Restoration
    BUILDING-SITE RELATIONSHIP
    • Anchors the Southwest corner of the Plaza
    • Aligns with Peabody Hall across the Plaza