• Campus Master Plan
  • Historic Preservation
  • Committees
  • Historic Campus
  • Strategic Development Plan
  • Conservation Area Land Management (CALM) Plans
  • Florida Gymnasium

    Florida Gymnasium

    After completion of the Florida Gym or Alligator Alley in 1949, the historic Gymnasium became the Women’s Gym to house women’s athletic programs for the newly coeducational university. Athletic and military drill fields were considered from the earliest plan for the land grant university. The original athletic field was Fleming Field, just north of the present stadium. The Florida Pool was completed in 1929 and construction began on Florida Field. The stadium was built into a natural bowl and the upper seats were at ground level. The track field, Percy Beard Field, was on the South end of the stadium. Florida Gym was located directly East of Florida Field. The simplified Collegiate Gothic fade was the gateway for sports events, rock concerts, and graduations until completion of the O’Connell Center ODome. The building was rehabilitated for use by the Department of Recreational Sports and the College of Health and Human Performance.

    Architect: Rudolph Weaver and Guy Fulton (Design was begun during the 2nd World War, but the building was completed under Fulton)
    Contractor: Chalker & Lund Co.

    Florida Gymnasium Character-Defining Features
    • 2 stories
    • Rectangular
    • Gable
    • Central tower entrance with cast stone surrounds
    • Single and paired groups
    • 12 light aluminum replacement
    • Horizontal sliding
    • Brick is English bond
    • Soldier courses over shallow arches at window openings along east and west facades
    • Copper downspouts with square brackets and conductor heads
    • Cast stone parapet cap, cornice line, entrance surround
    • Water table high on facade
    • Simplified ornamental detail characteristic of the period
    • Central gym space
    • Entrance on central axis to street
    • Area of higher density bounded by Stadium Road and The Swamp