• Campus Master Plan
  • Committees
  • Historic Campus
  • Strategic Development Plan
  • Conservation Area Land Management (CALM) Plans
  • Dauer Hall

    Dauer Hall

    The Florida Union, the present south wing of Dauer Hall, was completed in 1936. The funding drive was spearheaded by orator William Jennings Bryan, cousin of Board of Control Chair Nathan Bryan, with major contributions from the YMCA. The Union served as student center for the boys from Old Florida until completion of the Hub in 1950. Significant features include a Tudor chimney and bay window with universal and Florida regional symbols in stained glass, completed in 1938 by D’Ascengo Studios of Philadelphia. The Keene Faculty Center in the west wing now hosts small lectures and provides a reading room for faculty. Adjacent to this wing was the 1922 Johnson Hall Commons and Rathskeller, destroyed by fire in 1987.

    Architect: Rudolph Weaver
    Building Name: Manning Dauer, Jr., established the Political Science Department

    Dauer Hall Character-Defining Features
    SCALE
    • 3-1/2 stories
    MASSING
    • L shaped with projecting end blocks
    ROOF
    • Gable with flat parapet
    ENTRANCES
    • In bays adjacent to projecting ends
    WINDOWS
    • 6 over 6 light
    • Double hung
    • Paired or individual
    MATERIALS
    • Brick is English bond
    • Soldier courses over windows
    • Copper downspouts with square brackets and conductor heads
    ORNAMENTATION
    • Cast stone entrance surrounds with pointed arches
    • Cast stone lintels, sills and quoins
    • Water table is half round with bulging torus
    • Flat variegated clay tile with “bump” ridge tiles
    INTERIOR FEATURES
    • Keene Faculty Center
    BUILDING-SITE RELATIONSHIP
    • Set back from street and plan shape defines a small rear courtyard