Dairy Science Building

  • Campus Master Plan
  • Committees
  • Historic Campus
  • Strategic Development Plan
  • Conservation Area Land Management (CALM) Plans
  • Dairy Science Building

    Dairy Science Building

    When the Dairy Science Building (now Building 120) was designed by Rudolph Weaver in 1937, it was distanced from its contemporaries of Dauer, Leigh, and the Infirmary by green and planted space. The small Collegiate Gothic structure housed classrooms, laboratories, offices and a cold storage room. Most research that took place there was dedicated to the surplus of milk produced in Florida during that time. Today, the building houses laboratories, classrooms and offices for the computing division of IFAS. The exterior retains some of its Collegiate Gothic features, although the original cast-stone plaques were installed in the new Dairy Science Building in 1983.

    Architect: Rudolph Weaver
    Building Name: Former home of the Diary Science Department, now Building 120

    Dairy Science Building Character-Defining Features
    SCALE
    • 1 story
    MASSING
    • Rectangular, long side parallel to street and set back
    ROOF
    • Flat with parapet and gable
    ENTRANCES
    • Centered under pointed brick arches
    WINDOWS
    • 6 over 6 light with single light transoms
    • Double hung
    • Wood
    MATERIALS
    • Brick is English bond
    • Light red flat clay tile with flat ridge cap tiles
    ORNAMENTATION
    • Cast stone water table
    • Medallions showing the uses of milk were over the entrances
    • Cast stone parapet
    INTERIOR FEATURES
    BUILDING-SITE RELATIONSHIP
    • Long side parallel to street and set back with open space at front