• Campus Master Plan
  • Historic Preservation
  • Committees
  • Historic Campus
  • Strategic Development Plan
  • Conservation Area Land Management (CALM) Plans
  • Carleton Auditorium was designed by Guy Fulton in 1954 to accommodate the fast growing student population. It is named for William G. Carleton, a respected History professor from 1926-1962. The auditorium is located just South of Walker Hall and shares a breezeway with the 1927 building. Carleton reflects the international modern influences of the period, but the use of brick and concrete details, along with the low profile of its sitting, allow it to remain in harmony with the surroundings. The continuous breezeway opens to a large auditorium that provides lecture space for a wide variety of University courses.

    Architect: Guy Fulton
    Building Name: William G. Carleton, a respected History professor from 1926-1962

    Carleton Auditorium Character-Defining Features
    SCALE
    • 1 Story
    MASSING
    • Rectangular with horizontal emphasis
    ROOF
    • Flat
    ENTRANCES
    • At ends of building
    • Cast entrance surrounds
    WINDOWS
    MATERIALS
    • Brick is English Bond
    ORNAMENTATION
    • Cast entrance surrounds
    • Colonnade space in front of the auditorium
    INTERIOR FEATURES
    BUILDING-SITE RELATIONSHIP
    • Infill and successful background building to Walker Hall