• Campus Master Plan
  • Historic Preservation
  • Committees
  • Historic Campus
  • Strategic Development Plan
  • Conservation Area Land Management (CALM) Plans
  • Anderson Hall

    Anderson Hall

    Language Hall stood across the open plaza from Science Hall when it was completed in 1913. In addition to classrooms and offices for the English, Language, History, and Mathematics Departments, the building also housed the offices of the President, the Registrar, and the Graduate School. It is named for Dr. James Nesbitt Anderson, first Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and of the Graduate School. Anderson Hall was rehabilitated in 2003 by the firm of Rowe Architects with the support of the Keene family.

    Architect: William Augustus Edwards
    Contractor: J. J. Cain Company of Atlanta
    Building Name: Dr. James Nesbitt Anderson, first Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and of the Graduate School. It was originally named Language Hall.

    Anderson Hall Character-Defining Features
    SCALE
    • 2-1/2 Stories
    MASSING
    • Retangular
    ROOF
    • Gable
    ENTRANCES
    • Central entrances through projecting cross gable
    • Secondary entrance at West end
    WINDOWS
    • 9 over 9 light single hung
    • Aluminum replacement sash
    MATERIALS
    • Brick is Common Bond
    • 6th course Flemish Bond
    • Soldier course headers on 1st Floor
    • Light red stepped tile with bump tile at ridge
    ORNAMENTATION
    • Cast stone sloped profile water table and sills
    • Cast stone surrounds, finials, and crenellations
    INTERIOR FEATURES
    • Plan extant; finishes rehabilitated
    • Stair at entrances rises half level to main floor
    BUILDING-SITE RELATIONSHIP
    • Faces University Avenue – Central Entrance
    • Open space at rear about 2.75 to 1 proportion of eave height to horizontal dimension