• Campus Master Plan
  • Historic Preservation
  • Committees
  • Historic Campus
  • Strategic Development Plan
  • Conservation Area Land Management (CALM) Plans
  • Rolfs Hall

    Rolfs Hall

    Completed in 1927, the Horticulture Building was designed by University Architect William Edwards to meet the growing needs of University of Florida’s agricultural programs. It housed the Agricultural Extension Service, the State Plant Board, and the Agricultural Experiment Station as well as classrooms. Rolfs Hall reflects its Gothic heritage in its random balance of gable dormers and projecting oriel bay windows headed by checker-work parapets. Between dormers, the roof parapet is pierced with quatrefoils and diamond lozenges with rosette centers. Plaques of floral motifs and a beehive reflect the Department of Horticulture’s studies.

    Architect: William Augustus Edwards, completed by Rudolph Weaver
    Building Name: Peter Henry Rolfs, director of the Agricultural Extension and the Experiment Station

    Rolfs Hall Character-Defining Features
    SCALE
    • 3-1/2 stories
    MASSING
    • L shape plan with projecting oriel bays
    • Central chimney
    ROOF
    • Gable roof
    • Shed dormers
    ENTRANCES
    • End on long side of rectangle
    WINDOWS
    • 6 over 6 light paired
    • 6 over 6 light in groups of four
    • Aluminum replacement sash
    MATERIALS
    • Brick is English Bond
    • Rowlock arches
    • Flat light red clay tiles
    • Copper downspouts with square brackets and leader heads
    ORNAMENTATION
    • Cast stone lintels and sills
    • Quoins at windows
    • Balustrade with quatrefoils with inset floral medallions
    • Cornice line with cast square panels of floral
    • Water table half round with bulging torus
    INTERIOR FEATURES
    BUILDING-SITE RELATIONSHIP
    • Faces street and forms defined exterior space between wings