The University of Florida belongs to a tradition of great universities. It is one of the nation’s largest public, land-grant research institutions and one of the most comprehensive universities in the United States, encompassing virtually all recognized academic and professional disciplines. In dramatic contrast to its opening in 1906 with two unfinished buildings and 102 students, the University of Florida entered the 21st century with a population of almost 70,000 students, faculty and support personnel occupying over 900 buildings and 2,000 acres of land.
The Campus Historic District and 22 buildings were listed in 1989 on the National Register of Historic Places. In 2008 an additional 10 buildings, plus the Plaza of the Americas, were added to the National Register. Five of these buildings and the Plaza are within the already established Historic District. The Memorandum of Agreement with the State Historic Preservation Office further demonstrates the commitment of the University to campus preservation.
Through a grant from the Getty Grant Program in 2003, the University prepared web-based resource documents: University of Florida Campus Historic Preservation Plan and Guidelines for Rehabilitation & New Construction. These resources catalogue character-defining features of the university's historic architecture, and summarize landscape architecture features found in the Campus Historic District. In addition to these resources, the Campus Master Plan also provides guidance for preservation of historical and archaeological resources through policies governing campus growth and development.